Thursday 28 February 2013

Time to catch up...

Finally I am feeling half normal again and yesterday I managed to spend some time outside. The weather was lovely and warm, perfect for pottering around outside.
I spent most of my time checking on what's happened while I've been ill for the past couple of weeks and when I saw all the jobs that needed doing I decided to write a list, this will give me a purpose each time I go out rather than wandering around aimlessly and getting nothing done.
By the time I'd got to number 42 though I gave up!
42 jobs so far and those aren't even things like seed sowing or scarifying the garden, they're huge projects like replanting the borders and building a new compost bay - I think I may have set myself too many tasks and if that's the case I'll get demoralised and nothing will get done, again!
So instead of doing jobs here there and everywhere a bit at a time I've decided that i will concentrate on jobs in the actual garden first as this is the area we have to look at all the time - well that's the theory anyway!

Anyway, I had another look at those 6 Garlic cloves I planted earlier in the year, I'm amazed they're still growing and showing no signs of rot or death yet. This is the first time I've ever got Garlic growing even to this height
Wish I'd planted loads more now!

And remember those Dogwood cuttings I took here? well every single one of them is showing signs of growth - this is another first for me as I have never been able to propagate it with any success
Dogwood cuttings

And what about those Olive cuttings I did at the same time as the Dogwood? Well, I can't really tell if they're rooting but they're certainly not dead - or at least they don't look it!
Olive cuttings.



As well as checking on things I also managed to find the energy to cut some Willow ready for a Willow fedge (though I'm now thinking maybe a Willow fedge is not a good idea. I need the Willow to help with the boggy area but Willow is terrible for any kind of hedging in my opinion, it just never looks quite right).
I haven't decided if the Fedge will actually go ahead yet so I've just stuck the Willow in a bucket of water for now, they'll be happy there and will start to root pretty soon at which time I can decide whether to pot them up or plant them out.
40 willow whips waiting on my decision, next to the filtered seaweed tea.

I also strained off that Seaweed tea which didn't smell anywhere near as bad as I thought it would. It's now waiting in containers to be put to use but I'm not sure what the shelf life is and how quickly I need to get it used up, I think maybe it's something I should have put off until the summer months when I can actually use it.

Today is another dry day, not as sunny as yesterday but that just makes the polytunnel more comfortable to be in (it got reeeeeeally warm in there yesterday) so I think I'll do some potting up and seed sowing.  Oh wait, I'm supposed to be concentrating on the main garden - oops!

Anyway I will leave you for the moment with a piccie of my garden helper. He helps an awful lot around the garden, what with his digging and pooping (insert sarcastic face) and never really gets the credit he deserves, so here he is
Huntly! My best pal.......holding his best pal - Fimble.


10 comments:

  1. What a fine hound you have! Glad to hear you're feeling better, going in the garden at this time of year can lift your spirits with all that new growth :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane you are so right, getting out into the garden and breathing in that composty earthy smell does wonders for the spirit and I intend to make the most of every dry day we have because I'm guessing it's not going to last :(
      Thank you for taking the time to pop by and leave a message :)
      Linda

      Delete
  2. I just looked up fedge, so it's a fence with shrubs along it? Never heard of that. Fimble doesn't look too comfortable, but glad to hear you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically it's an alternative to a fence or a hedge but comprises both, if that makes sense. It's basically making a fence out of hedging plants. I want to make one with Willow and make it in a diamond pattern to add strength as Willow is ridiculously easy to bend in the winds we get here.
      Fimble never looks comfortable or clean lol. Huntly takes him everywhere and is the only toy he has that hasn't been ripped apart - it's his best bud! Funny thing is none of the other 3 dogs will touch it, ever! lol
      Thanks for popping by and messaging me

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Great to hear you are better and out in the garden...42 jobs wow....I keep a list to help keep me centered and not scattered. Love your garden helper. Congrats on the garlic...here it grows well and I planted 40 cloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped at 42 Donna lol. 40 cloves is more like the amount I should have planted but I've tried for years to grow the stuff with no luck. I don't know what I've done differently with these but they're still alive!
      Do you do anything special to have such success with them?

      Thanks for popping by and taking the time to message me :)

      Linda

      Delete
  4. It can bea bit off-putting when you list everything that needs doing - I am a bit of a flutterbug myself - starting off doing one thing then getting sidetracked - but it all gets done eventually. I think my garlic has rotted as it still isn't showing but also badgers have been in and nosed some out of the soil. If it's not one thing it's another. Love your pooch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine, he is adorabubble isn't he lol. I am so like yourself, even if I go outside with a days list in my head of what I need to do I get sidetracked so easily and end up doing something random.
      I do hope your Garlic recovers but it doesn't sound too good does it epecially if you have badgers :(
      Thank you for stopping by Elaine.

      Linda

      Delete
  5. I am glad you are feeling better. I've always wanted to try my hand at planting garlic cloves, too. Thanks for the inspiration. What a handsome gardening helper you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome :) With this years success of a whole 6 cloves lol, I feel brave enough to plant en masse next year.
      I hope you do give it a go :)
      I know it's not the recommended thing to do but I just planted supermarket bought cloves, strangely these are the only ones that have ever survived thus far.
      Good luck to you and thank you for taking the time to message me

      Linda

      Delete

Thank you for popping by, if you'd like to leave a message that would be awesome and I try to respond to all messages :)