Thursday, 30 April 2015

Pallet wood Adirondack chairs

My garden really is taking some neglect of late. I really should be much further along with the re-design than am I, in fact to be honest I've done nothing out there since my last post. It's not from a lack of caring though it's down to the fact that I've been super busy in the workshop building furniture for the new decking (that isn't even in place yet) and building planters for Roses.

I was super surprised the other day when my daughter came home from work with a boot full of plants that were headed for the skip, once I've sorted through them I'll post pix but I know for definite I'm  making a hedge from the amount of Viburnum Tinus I now have.

For now though I'm simply going to show you my latest project. Remember the Adirondack chairs I made last year? (or the year before - I forget), well I've made a second batch and MrTG has declared they far exceed the previous ones in both looks and comfort.
I couldn't find the exact plans I needed to make this design so I basically made it up as I went along but used inspiration from 3 seperate designs. Of course I made the footstools to match though I have since realised they don't actually match as they are angular on the ends as opposed to rounded like the chairs.

What i love most about these chairs is that they have cost me nothing more than time as all the wood is either from pallets or old stuff I have stored. All I have to do now is paint them and while I painted the last ones in 'Summer Damson' by Cuprinol I have chosed 'Fresh Rosemary' for these ones because I'm going much lighter on the new part of the garden.

Cuprinol Garden Shades 'Fresh Rosemary'
The shade is actually a mintier green than is showing above.
Here's the Adirondack chairs I made previously. A very different style as they're more angular and don't have floating arms like the new ones do.

Sunday, 19 April 2015


Considering how busy I've been outside lately I have very little content for any of my blogs.
Most of my time has been spent clearing up dead plants from the half of the garden that is sort of finished and also in the polytunnel trying to keep on top of the mess that's in there.
For the first time in 6 years or so the PT is not being used for fruit or veg this year - I have finally accepted that I do not enjoy attempting to grow food - so it's going to be full of cut flowers.
I'm also starting on the second part of the garden with the help of MrTG, it involves alot of gravel clearing before we can remove the sleeper beds and then begin cutting in new curved beds ready to be packed with plants.

If I don't get it cleared now it will look like this before long and then I won't be able to tackle it again until it all dies off.

Once it's all cleared I just have to work out what beds are going where - true to form I have no plan on paper. I know roughly what I want to include but I'm finding it a tad difficult to mesh the square lines of the existing garden to the curves I want on this side. I'll get there eventually though.

This si the side I'm renovating.